You heard it here. Miracles do happen; knitting miracles at least. My Beaumont tam is complete and despite all my previous worries it blocked out to be the perfect size. I couldn’t be happier.
Sorry to that small child, you won’t be getting an intricate and incredibly soft hat this Christmas.
Done! I can’t say how pleased I am that I’ve finished my Rock Island Shawl. The pattern is by Jared Flood and it was a dream to knit. The pattern is written extremely well. It lays out the entire process from start to finish, including tips on how to block it. I wouldn’t hesitate to knit something else by this designer, (in fact I have my eye on this Beaumont Tam). So without further ado, here is my own version of the Rock Island Shawl.
This is my first lace shawl and I couldn’t be more pleased. That is not to say that I didn’t have a few obstacles to overcome. I had to start this about 5 times because I just couldn’t get the pattern right. Thankfully the shawl starts with only a few cast on stitches and having to redo the first six or seven rows wasn’t a big deal. Once I got going on the lace edge it was pretty smooth sailing for the rest of the edge.
The construction of the shawl was intriguing and designed to get the tricky stuff out of the way first.
The lace border is knit separately. From there you pick up the edge and move onto a garter stitch band and then the rock island motif.
Once that is complete its straight garter stitch. While that may seem like an endless sea of boredom, the saving grace is that the rows get smaller as you go. There’s no better incentive to do a few more rows than that!
I got to try my hand at blocking with wires. After my experience blocking my Hemlock Blanket, this was a much better experience. I don’t think I used more than 10 blocking pins. The result was a much more even FO as well.
I’m amazed at what a good soak and stretch can do.
The lace edging before blocking.
Now that I’ve seen the photos of the Hemlock Blanket on a computer screen (as opposed to my phone), it’s clear that they don’t really do it justice. Here are a few more.
The centre of the blanket
Feather and Fan Motif
This last photo doesn’t really capture the true colour of the yarn. It’s more heathered than it appears here. The first two images capture its true colour much better.
These photos do the blanket much more justice!
It’s over. Done. Finally finished! After three long months my Aidez cardigan is all seamed up. It’s even been out and about! Overall I’m quite pleased with it. I only wish that it had pockets!
Since I’ve finished up two of the three projects I had on the go I figured it was high time to start something new. I had some variegated green sock yarn that I wanted to use and I also wanted to try a pattern from Cookie A’s Knit.Sock.Love. As a result
The pattern is Pointelle and so far I love it. It definitely demands your attention, but it’s so addicting to knit. Seems to be knitting up quite quickly as well. Stay tuned for updates.