Just in time to coincide with the bright green buds on the trees, I’ve finished my Pointelle socks. They were a treat to knit; Enough intricacy to keep me interested, but not so much that it was burdensome.
I only ran into one setback (albeit substantial). I took these with my on my mini holiday over the Easter weekend. I dutifully photocopied all the charts and the pattern so I wouldn’t have to lug around the entire book. Perfect! It’s compact, I have everything I need. I’m set. Almost. I failed to consider the fact that the charts have several areas shaded to indicate what is necessary for the largest size only. I was knitting small. So when it came time to switch to the next chart, I started where I would typically start and off I went.
After 12 stitches or so it became clear that the diagonals were NOT going to line up. Crap. I wracked my brain for the better part of an hour on the train trying to figure out what I’d done wrong. Nothing. All the rows prior were right, I had the right number of stitches, everything was where it should be, except this new chart. Commence hair pulling!
As I arrived in Kingston it dawned on me that perhaps the chart for my size didn’t start at the beginning. I assumed that the extra stitches would lie at the end, as they did in the previous one. Maybe, just maybe it was the opposite in this chart. Great! Except I can’t verify this because my photocopies don’t show any shading.
I disembarked the train feeling rather defeated. My mood effectively altered (not for the better) with the reality that I have almost a week off and no knitting to do because I can’t figure out the charts.
With all the excitement of the weekend I put my socks out of my mind for a few days. Eventually I couldn’t hold out any longer. So I did what any knitter would do faced with this dilemma. I turned to Ravelry. After much searching I found, like a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, a someone’s photo of their charts, all cut out, glued together and annotated for their size. Size Small. Hallelujah! My suspicions were confirmed. I needed to start chart C a few stitches in!