Despite the lack of activity here on my blog, it’s been a busy and hectic few weeks! I packed up my little apartment in Toronto and made the move to Kingston! I couldn’t believe how much stuff I had managed to accumulate over the course of a mere two years. Surprisingly there wasn’t TOO much knitting stuff; Definitely not an impressive stash quite yet, but it’s good to have goals.
First on the agenda once I landed in Kingston was to scope out the nearest yarn shop, (of course). To be fair, I had scoped it out long before the move, but I hadn’t actually ventured in. To my delight Wooly-Tyme is just down the street! Still to be determined if its close proximity will be a good thing or a bad thing ; )
In project news, it’s a mix of progress and procrastination. I’ve started on one sleeve of my Featherweight Cardigan but I’ve stalled out on the Edwardian Boating Socks. I had such high hopes for them, but I don’t know what it is. I just can’t seem to get into these socks.
With all the slipped stitches in the pattern it takes twice as long it seems, it make good progress. I’ve only just made it to the instep, and it still seems like there’s so much more to go. I can’t even bear to think about the complete second sock to be done!
To combat the project apathy, I, like any good knitter, searched for another project to satisfy my knitting itch. Enter Wendy Knits Heart to Heart Socks. I’ve been knitting lots of socks lately, but no toe up socks and I was starting to really miss it. I love toe-up socks; it’s those first few rows were you create a toe out of nothing but a few wraps of yarn that really fascinates me. Hopefully these will hold my interest until I’m ready to get back to my Edwardian Boating Socks.
Inspired by the Yarn Harlot’s latest post I have resurrected my forgotten Leyburn Socks. Sort of. I started them a long time back but the odds were stacked against the success of this project from the get go.
- First I wasn’t crazy about the yarn. I’ve learned by now that no matter how much I like variegated yarn in the skein, I’m never really happy with how it knits up. Call me old-fashioned, but I’m a solids kinda girl.
- Second was the pattern. I LOVE the lattice stitch detail, expect that because there are so many slipped rows, the length of the front and back are not the same. Now since hundreds of successful Leyburn socks have been knit, clearly this isn’t much of an issue. I however, just couldn’t get past it. So they sat. For months.
Enter the Yarn Harlot’s post. I had my eye on this Edwardian Boating Socks pattern for a while. (I swear!). But as other things kept catching my eye I put them out of my mind and that pattern laid in waiting in my Ravelry Favourites. Reading her post reminded me of how much I liked the pattern. It’s similar to Leyburn in that there’s a similar lattice stitch, but it’s combined with more elements. This got me thinking that perhaps I would abandon the Leyburn’s all together and restart with this pattern. Not only that, but her pictures assured me that the pattern would look great with a variegated yarn!
So that’s what I’ve done. Leyburn’s are officially frogged, (I still hope to come back to them, but perhaps with another darker semi-solid yarn) and I’ve started on the Edwardian Boating Socks.
The great thing about knitting is, as my mom reminds me, there are no rules. If you aren’t feeling it, change it up.
Trust your gut. If you’re not loving your project now, chances are you won’t 3/4 of the way through it. So find something that you will enjoy knitting!
Just in time to coincide with the bright green buds on the trees, I’ve finished my Pointelle socks. They were a treat to knit; Enough intricacy to keep me interested, but not so much that it was burdensome.
I only ran into one setback (albeit substantial). I took these with my on my mini holiday over the Easter weekend. I dutifully photocopied all the charts and the pattern so I wouldn’t have to lug around the entire book. Perfect! It’s compact, I have everything I need. I’m set. Almost. I failed to consider the fact that the charts have several areas shaded to indicate what is necessary for the largest size only. I was knitting small. So when it came time to switch to the next chart, I started where I would typically start and off I went.
After 12 stitches or so it became clear that the diagonals were NOT going to line up. Crap. I wracked my brain for the better part of an hour on the train trying to figure out what I’d done wrong. Nothing. All the rows prior were right, I had the right number of stitches, everything was where it should be, except this new chart. Commence hair pulling!
As I arrived in Kingston it dawned on me that perhaps the chart for my size didn’t start at the beginning. I assumed that the extra stitches would lie at the end, as they did in the previous one. Maybe, just maybe it was the opposite in this chart. Great! Except I can’t verify this because my photocopies don’t show any shading.
I disembarked the train feeling rather defeated. My mood effectively altered (not for the better) with the reality that I have almost a week off and no knitting to do because I can’t figure out the charts.
With all the excitement of the weekend I put my socks out of my mind for a few days. Eventually I couldn’t hold out any longer. So I did what any knitter would do faced with this dilemma. I turned to Ravelry. After much searching I found, like a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, a someone’s photo of their charts, all cut out, glued together and annotated for their size. Size Small. Hallelujah! My suspicions were confirmed. I needed to start chart C a few stitches in!
After all that, I finally have my socks.
All socks look better on